Sunday, February 22, 2009

Notes on the Economic Crisis


Above is an illustration I did for an article entitled, "Notes on the Economic Crisis" (for The Indypendent). Considering the subject matter, it was a depressing article to say the least. It mentioned Obama frequently, but I didn't really feel like drawing him again. So I stepped back and considered the overall themes. I think that a hummingbird sucking nectar from a wilted flower is an appropriate metaphor for the economic crisis. Also, I thought it would inject some sentimentality into a rather dry article.

It was really fun to paint. Once again, a very short deadline. Finished the sketch yesterday, final today.

Hummingbirds are very cute and they invaded my sketchbook.

When I tell you that I spent hours trying to draw convincing wilted flowers, I do hope you believe me, because that is no lie.

UPDATE : Here's how it appeared in print.

They changed the title I noticed, good thing I didn't get very far with my note or writing themed thumbnails.

2 comments:

Eric Orchard said...

Man, that is a stunning image. I really love the sense of motion and the high contrast composition. Beautiful stuff.

S.M.Vidaurri said...

thanks eric! I really appreciate it.