Friday, March 13, 2009

Sketchbook 5 : Midnite.

Dr. Mid-Nite

Eric Orchard
is a wonderful artist, his work has a beautiful whimsical quality, it can be extremely soft and nuanced, or very graphic and powerful. Recently Eric had some awesome kirby inspired drawings on his blog. And it got me to thinking about old comic characters. After trading a couple of emails with Eric and we decided to each post a sketch - I chose Dr. Mid-Nite (as many of my friends know, I am a huge fan), and Eric chose Hourman. I love the designs of those old characters, like Hourman, the original Sandman or the first Blue Beetle. They're just so classic!

The sketch was inspired by how Dr. Mid-Nite used smoke bombs to fight crime (second only to sandmans sleeping gun), I tried to invision him coming into focus through the smoke. Nowadays every superhero has bones sticking out of their skin and telepathic fire that shoots out of their eyes which they got from hell. But Dr. Mid-Nite could just see in the dark, and he was really a doctor.

Update: Here's Erics Hourman!


3 comments:

Eric Orchard said...

This is gorgeous! I love this piece, is it ink?I love the way you've worked the values here.Awesome.(and blush! Thanks for nice stuff you said!)

dribbs said...

Outstanding image. Looks like the calm before the storm. A moment of silent contemplation before he kicks ass.

S.M.Vidaurri said...

Eric, Thanks man. It's black watercolor. I hope you don't mind I posted your Hourman image on here!

Dribbs, Thanks! It's true, Dr. Mid-Nite would definitely kick some ass.