Saturday, April 28, 2012

Watercolor & Cover


Here's a recent watercolor painting. I decided to use the same drawing that I used for the IRON cover, and because the cover is only black line work with gold foil, I thought it would be fun to explore how it would look as a watercolor painting.


Here's a proof for the cover of IRON. It's pretty close to how it's going to look, just some small typography changes. Archaia has really impressed me with their dedication to making the book's appearance as beautiful as can be. I am quite excited to see it.

Here's my first sketch for the cover. You can see I was a bit overzealous with the gold foil at first, using it to fill in the sky, which was pointed out to me as being unwise (which it is). Your eye is drawn to James in the actual cover, and in this one your eye goes to the sky. I figured it out in the next round of sketches.

No comments: